Thursday, May 19, 2011

3/12/11 830 pm

Just showered, laying in bed.  Tonight for dinner, we had plantanes, rice and beans, and onions in a spicy red sauce.  The plantanes were awesome as well as the rice.  I could eat that most nights. 

Our reflection mostly just talked about what we saw.  We started to get ready for clinic.  We separated the medicaitons by category.  Larissa, Sarah and I are running the pharmacy the first 2 days then whiching to see patients.  We had to rotate between either triage or pharmacy and then patient care.  I will like doing pharmacy.  I have to remember to go with the flow and be a little more open minded, instead of controlling.  I feel a lot of the time, I know what I want to do, what makes sense to me, and I set my mind to that.  Need to calm down the control and make sure everyone has the opportunity to put in their input.  My way isn't always the best way and I know I forget that sometimes. 

I've been thinking about the Haitians.  They have so little except faith in God and each other.  I kept seeign these people walking or waiting and I kept wondering where they were going or what they were doing.  Who was buying their produce?  I still can't process all I saw.  A woman here said that Americans give so much money but instead of it going to organizations like HOM who have clinics and are constantly rebuilding, it goes to the Haitian gov't.  I guess the Haitian gov't does whatever they want.  It was nice to see the Haitians rebuilding.  I often wonder where they get their resources or with what money.  I saw a man rebuilding a wall with rocks.  He was so patient.  Patience is something I need more of and you can never not have enough.  I'm so impatient - for school to end, to get a job, to move back to Chicago, to see Jon... I need to enjoy each day and be thankful for it.

I wonder how this will affect me in the future.  I honestly hope that some of the things I've seen here change me for the better.  Just to be a more grateful person in ALL aspects of life. 

It rained a lot here tonight.  It felt nice.  Sometimes I focus so much on goals or countdowns.  I want to try to put things in persepective.  I think that's a reasonable goal.

Love to my family,
Britt

No comments:

Post a Comment