Thursday, May 19, 2011

3/15/2011 930 pm CLINIC DAY 2

Patients: 226

Today was a good, long day.  Woke up at 530, ate mango and powerbar.  Worked the pharmacy all day.  Saw a ton of patients in the morning.  2 cases had to be rushed to the ER.  A 16yo female came in with acute abdomen, appendicitis.  (I def know how she's feeling...)  We also had an 80 yo male with chest pain and tachycardia (rapid heart rate).  We suspected a heart attack.  His blood pressure was through the roof and not controlled with the meds we gave him yesterday.  We gave him an aspirin to help if he was having a heart attack.  Andrea (the PA and faculty member in charge) said they went to St. Catherine, the Doctors without Borders hospital.  THeir ER triage is a tent where they get a label - red, yellow, green based on symptoms and diagnosis.  I would have loved to tour a hospital in Haiti.  A lot of the MDs are from all over the world and Haiti. 

Tomorrow I have to help out with the pharmacy initially to help with the transition, since we are switching positions.  I am extremely excited about seeing patients.  On certain rotations, I'm allowed to see patients on my own.  I then go back and brief the PA or MD.  This time, I can make my own clinical judgement and prescribe meds...without someone double checking every single time.  It makes me nervous but I am not afraid to ask for a second opinion or help. 

Had rice and beans for dinner.  That's by far my favorite Haitian meal.  We played catchphrase a lot tongiht which was fun.  I have to say, I'm ready to go home.  Time hasn't gone by as fast as I wanted it to.  I think being cut off from communication has been liberating, yet at the same time, I miss Jon and my family.  Sometimes, all you need is to hear their voice. 

Oh, saw a woman with elephantitis of her foot and a baby with a horrible rash.  I'm sooooooo excited to see patients tomorrow! Ahhh :)

Love to my family,
Britt

No comments:

Post a Comment