Thursday, May 19, 2011

3/13/11 9:20 am

Got up at 5:30 for church services.  Had some breakfast.  Church was interesting.  All the Haitians were dressed so nice.  Men in ties, full suits, all pressed.  The women in heels and nice outfits.  Their hair all up and with beautiful clips.  Since these people come from the community, I wonder how they can have so little in so unsanitary ocnditions, but look so nice.  One thing they don't lack is faith and love in God.  They are all their raising their hands up and praising God.  Makes me really think about faith and how we all find a way to connect to a higher power.  One thing he said in English was "we are a church of the world.  we will all meet in heaven - different races, languages, beliefs.  we are all praising the same thing".  Really made me wonder or question what I believe in and if I know what I believe in.  How do I show my faith?  Do I really need to show my faith to have faith? 

One thing I read last night was about sacfricing true happiness to succeed to accomplish a goal.  That's hard to think about because somethings, reaching my goals makes me happy...even though the journey may not always bring me happiness.  Then again, isn't life mostly a journey?  If that's a case, shouldn't the journey bring you happiness? 

It also said, if you don't have it, you don't know what you're missing.  Someone in our group asked how the haitians could live like this.  But, if they don't know any different, they probably don't think they have it bad.  They are alive, they have family, they have enough food, they have a shelter (no matter what it's constructed out of)...they have all the essentials - they are happy.  It's good to be alive.  Maybe our problem as Americans is we have too many choices.  Choices lead to unhappiness or disappointment?

Love to my family,
Brit

No comments:

Post a Comment