Thursday, May 19, 2011

3/14/11 730pm FIRST CLINIC DAY

Patients: 215

Today we got up at 5 to get started at the clinic.  Breakfast was fresh pineapple and coffee.  It was so beautiful to get up when the sun was coming up...granted we go to bed at 8.  You could already hear the Haitian music and the start to their day. 

Running pharmacy was fun.  Sarah was the patient education girl with the translator.  Larissa ran back and forth between her and I.  My job was to get the order ready -- whether that was hand the pre-made baggies or count pills.  Up front we had a triage area that took vitals and stuff, typical to what nursing does when you get to the ER.  Then we had 6 providers (3 certified, 3 students) seeing patients.  In the pharmacy, I found myself wanting to be in control asll the time, which I know I can be bossy at times.  Something I already thought about trying to work on.  I'm really going to try hard to relax and seem like I'm having more fun.  Fun, though for me, is being efficient and quick.  Looks like I'm my mother's daughter.  I really didn't get to see any patient interactions.  I'm very glad I've gotten to become more familiar with the drugs though.  I think that will make me more comfortable as a provider.  It's hard for me to have confidence, so I think I need to just take a deep breath and do the best I can do.

We saw a lot of patients with GI problems - esp GERD (heartburn) (tums and omeprazole) and pain relief (ibuprofen, tylenol).  Also gave a lot of allergey meds (benadryl and claritin).  Saw some ringworm or fungal infections (mostly on scalp) and some scabies.  I think one person commented how the Haitians kept saying how grateful they were for our help.

One thing that bothers me is that we come in and give meds enough to last a month, week, or less.  But that's it.  AFter that they are on their own  to figure out their problems.  I saw one woman hobbling in on a cane and I just imaginged what her xray looked like.  it's hard to know that most of what they need are just over the counter meds we have in our medicine cabinet at home.  we can just go to the store at anytime and pick some up.  WE carry around tums in our purse while Haitians wait in line all day for a mission group before they get theirs.  The last mission group before us had been awhile.  I mean tums.  Tums.  It's sad because we had to mark tsp and mix the childrens suspensions with our own clean water because they may not have clean water.  Plus, you're suppose to refrigerate the antibiotics...  It's not like they can go home and make the suspension like we can.  Its those things we take for granted.  Clean water.  Fresh air.  I can't see any patient in the US wait around for hours and then be so grateful and pleasant when they leave.  It always comes back to gratitude. 

Our laundry was odne last night.  The women handwash our clothes in buckets while we did the clinic.  Pretty amazing.  They smell good too. 

Our translator for pharmacy was very nice.  His name is "Junior".  He's going to school to be a nutritional scientist and wants to be a businessman.  He wants to get a masters and go to school in the US or London.  He is obviously from a well off family.  Funny, when we were talking to him, he asked us "where do you see yourself in 5 years".  Between Larissa, myself and Junior  - we all wanted the same thing - healthy family, marriage, children, successful career, financial stability.  So different - yet we are all 25 with the same goals in life.  It's pretty amazing how values can be so similar in diverse countries.  US or Haiti - as citizens of humankind, we want family and purpose in life.  Both of which may be the key to happiness.

Missing my family,
Brittany

No comments:

Post a Comment